Sunday, January 27, 2008

House preperations -- Who knew it would be so shocking?

Why is it that all the house fixing up projects make me laugh. I did not think I would turn out to be painting so much at the end. My third bedroom/bonus room now is officially done (except for replacing the outlet covers and removing paint parofinalia). I finished door frame painting in the last two days and now just have the hallway and laundry room to finish painting. But the job just couldn't get finished without some laughter at my own expense.

So what was I laughing at you ask... Well let me set the scene. I worked 12.5 hours to come home at 11pm tired but satisfied and wanting to knock out two house projects. -I just wanted to finish two doorways getting their final layers of paint and install my light/ceiling fan fixture before going to bed. No problem right. Well about midnight I got to the light/fan fixture. Following previous protocol (learned the hard way after shocking myself during a previous installation) I turned off the braker and arranged a flashlight to shine upwards as installation began. I proceeded to drop about 15 screws while attempting to attach the intiial parts to the ceiling. Each time looking down for the screws to only be momentarily blinded by the flashlight shining straigh up towards the celing, while simultaneiously trying to step down off the step stool to find the screws in the dark on the floor.
Finally I attached all the wires and decided to flip the breaker and check if things were properly wired prior to installing the final screws. (I was so proud to have remembered that from a previous attempt.) And thankfully learned I had incorrectly wired the motor and was able to change it with no need for additional screw exchanges. But somewhere in the process the breaker was switched on and off until I achieved proper wiring.

It was now bordering on 1am and I was tiring out and reconsidering this late night install on numerous occasions. But finally success!! Everything worked!!! Tim had trained me well enough and wired in the box properly so that I was able to do it. And with only minor adjustments. The pride and excitement flooded me with enough energy to decide to complete the task. In my excitement I moved the motor to install the base, and a wiring nut came loose. -- What to do -- why just grab that wire and reattach it now right? -- Well thats when it struck me.--literally and physically. The wire was live -- and did I get a jolt of electricity. To add to the misfortune.... I was standing on a metal step stool and didn't really ground until I let go and stumbled off the ladder only to see the motor start to swing wildly above my head as I scrambled to the breaker to flip it off and back to the motor to try and stabilize it back on the hook before it could come down on my head. I began to laugh -- my arm was still feeling the buzz and tingle of that shock, but it could have been worse right? -- I could have had that motor fall and hit me on the head like in the cartoons. One more homeowners lesson -- remember to rethink touching wires and doing electrical installing while physically exhausted. Time to craw into bed by 2am and get some sleep

3 comments:

pyrotechny said...

Karla, thanks for the very entertaining story! Glad you are OK!
I've been known to work into the wee hours of the morning..but playing electrician takes the prize! You have beaten me, my dear!
Thanks for your encouraging words, too! Love to you!

Lindsay said...

Glad you didn't kill yourself wiring that thing up in the middle of the night!! Tim was happy that his wiring worked since he didn't get a chance to test it with anything last time :-P

Cheryl said...

Wow! You go girl! So industrious!!! It sounds like you are soo soo busy getting that house ready... i'm not sure i'd be up for that much painting.... glad you've got that motivation!