Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Work hard.... & play hard

So I have spent the last few days doing repairs and maintenance around my place. One of the joys of ownership. I have recently learned a few things. I learned how to replace the inner workings of a toilet. (although one is not completely functioning -- luckily I have more than one) I have figured out how to rip out those ugly glass doors for the shower. Unfortunately I didn't have the strength to fix my dysfunctional shower head. (hopefully I can get someone to help with that in the future.) I have also learned how to change the water filter for the house. My neighbor helped me manhandle that device open. Even he struggled to get it loose. Thanks Mr Davidson.

I have also spent the last two days in the 90+ heat painting the exterior of the windows and doors. Two coats and considering a third coat on some areas. One window required using my collapsable ladder extended to its full 17 feet and standing on the second to the last step. (thats a long way down)Mrs Davidson helped me maneuver the ladder -- thanks guys!! And thank God for providing help when I needed it most. I have sprayed to kill about 7 wasps nests around my porches -- so far without having been stung. I also began to sand the ceiling in my basement bedroom tonight. It had about a third of the ceiling replaced after a leak and had the first coat of mud put up. After about 30 minutes of sanding I had to call a break secondary to inability to see and breathe. I did decide to use the old bed frame from the guest bedroom for my room. Its nice to have a bed with headboard and foot board. It's starting to feel like a grown up bedroom instead of a college dorm. I have also changed out the linens and curtains to a beige color which is pretty while feeling mature. The room still has completely unmatched furniture -- but it does have furniture...

Then I wanted to try something new again.

This seems to be my week to do new things. I went to swing dancing for the first time. I took a lesson with about 100 other people in a room that began at about 80 degrees and became unbearable by the end of the first 1/2 hour. You were sweating just sitting watching others dance. About an hour later they found a fan and started circulating a little air. At the end of the evening I was finally getting the rhythm -- step, step, rock-step with the turns and close holds. It was fun. I ran into several faces from salsa which was fun. At about 11pm walking out of the place into the 87 degree weather I found it was basically cooler outside than inside -- even when only 6 or 7 dancers remained. Hopefully it may be cooler and a smaller group the next time I can go. Entirely different muscles needed for swing than for salsa. And with a concrete floor I can feel the impact on my legs. It was fun and I hope to go back again.

This week has been satisfying in regards to getting some work done thats been on the list for about a year. I still need to work further with that bedroom ceiling. But must admit I'm not that motivated. And all my flower and vegetable gardens have become weed infested areas as I put household tasks ahead of them. One girl can't do it all is something I am learning well with this large place. But I am amazed at God's faithfulness and his assistance when I need it most. I have needed some social outings and have enjoyed this week. Well now I must get some rest. May God bless you and your activities this week.

1 comment:

Christin said...

Dang girl! You are one busy woman!!! Fun stuff